– Sgraffito with papal bull
The façade of the historic Portal del Pardo building in El Vendrell, which overlooks Calle Quatre Fonts, will be covered so that the restorers can work on the recovery of the sgraffito that decorate it. The ones facing Major Street were restored months ago to recover the splendor of this building, which could be the oldest in El Vendrell at 500 years old.
The passage of time and weather conditions affected some sgraffito driven by the former French consul in Barcelona, Jean-Baptiste Aubert and his wife, Gertrudis Trillas.
In 1876 they made this ornamentation like the one that was done in the palaces of the upper class of Barcelona. The consul settled in that Renaissance mansion from the 16th century due to poor health conditions in the Catalan capital.
The restorer Pau Arroyo and his team are in charge of highlighting the outstanding sgraffito of the Portal del Pardo. the ornamentation presents decorative differences with respect to that of the north façade. In this, in addition to floral motifs, they also appear related to work in the fields, hunting or music.
For the Festa Major.
The works are scheduled to are finished for the Festa Major. The restorers will also work on the roof of the tower, which dates back to the 18th century.
The intervention in the Casa del Portal del Pardo makes it possible to highlight one of the buildings with the most history in El Vendrell. A few days ago the pedestrianization of the entire environment was inaugurated, being one of the main accesses to the historic center.
The Portal of the Brown Today it houses the headquarters and museum of the Fundació Apel les Fenosa since it was where the sculptor lived. The Guimerà family also lived there.
For 200 years the house belonged to the Nin family and later it passed to Josep Trillas, when one part was cavalry barracks. It was also a church. In his will Trillas left it to his granddaughter Gertrudis. It was not for her daughter because she was married to a man prosecuted by the Holy Tribunal of the Inquisition.
He made Gertrudis heir with the condition that while she was single she kept the name of Trillas and that when she married she kept it together with her husband’s.
When the sgraffiti that the consul had painted on the façade were finished, the Aubert-Trillas couple had to leave El Vendrell because the French were forced to leave Spain in 1793 and their requisitioned properties.
The family kept it since it was in the name of Gertrudis. The heirs sold it to the Guimerà family in 1823. Later it belonged to Fenosa, who bought it thanks to a painting by Picasso.